A. On going activities (As on 31st March, 2016)
1. Every year toilets are being constructed in the villages, 549 lavatories have been got constructed up till now. At present subsidy of Rs.10000 per lavatory is being provided to the beneficiaries.
2. Every year Water Houses (having capacity of more than 10000 liters) are being constructed for storing drinking water. Till now 649 water houses have been constructed. At present subsidy of Rs. 10000 per Tankee (small water storage unit) is being provided to the beneficiaries for this purpose.
3. Under ‘Roof for Roofless’ program, 7 metal (cast iron) built sheets (Tin sheds) are being provided for covering kuchha houses. Roof can be laid on 15 x 9 feet sandy house. Every year many families are being benefited out of this scheme. Till date 515 beneficiaries have been provided the benefits of the scheme. The estimated cost per roof is Rs.4000.
4. 5000 liter drinking water per month is being filled in water tanks (water storage cum supply units typically known as ‘Tankas’) got constructed at the time of drought and disaster by ensuring one-third participation of beneficiaries. More than 400 families are benefiting every year. Up to March 2016 total beneficiaries reached to 9062.
5. Efforts are being made to overcome the problem of migration of elders and youngsters for employment-hunt, by providing additional employment of more than 10000 man days to the needy persons within coverage area. Under this plan, works like - roads repair, med-bundi, water storage, plantation, maintenance of residential houses, construction of easy approach road etc. are being taken up. Till now additional employment of 519429 man-days has been provided during past years under the scheme.
6. Under Students support programme, Rs.500 to 3000 is being provided in the shape of assistance to those entitled poor students who are either orphan or whose parents are old or ailing patients. Till now, more than 876 students have availed this assistance. Selection process of the students is continued every time.
7. Medical and Health services: Health related knowledge is being given in the village meetings through social animators (women path makers typically named as ‘Sahelies’). Health facilities are provided by organizing special Medical camps like ENT, Eye, Dental, Asthma, Gynae diseases and General Medical camps according to the need of hour. Till now 6768 ailing patients have been served by organizing 26 special camps.
8. Games competitions: To improve the participation of youth strength in social services, several games competitions are organized and winners are recognized from time to time. For example winners and runner up of volley ball, Kabaddi, cricket matches are honored by awarding prizes. Till now, 6928 youths participated in 29 competitions.
9. Girl’s fair:- Special fairs are organized for adolescent girls to educate them and make them vigilant. In these fairs several games competition are arranged and prizes are distributed to winners and runners up. adolescent girls are being made aware towards their physical growth and social evils like child marriage, dowry, and abortion through village groups. Sanitary napkin facility is provided to these adolescent girls. Responsibilities of good family governance were nurtured in these girl children by embedding the ethics of potential ideal mother to them. As an outcome, after marriage, these girls are showing their gratitude several times for the teachings imparted to them. More than 4875 girls have been benefited under the programme.
10. Twenty adolescent girls group exists in 20 villages. In these groups, knowledge of literacy, small family, child marriage, dowry awareness and responsibilities of potential ideal mother etc. has been imparted to more than 488 adolescent girls through social Animators (Sahelies) effectively. Sanitary napkins are also being provided to girls according to their needs.
11. Emergency relief to those who affected from - fire; drought; ailment; accident; atrocity & harassment; and to poor involved in court cases trusted upon us and in addition to this, Nirman Sanstha advocated for several cases of atrocity and few of them were redressed with the help of administration.
12. Village women are made literate and till now 5896 women have been made literate.
13. Social awareness: Conducting deliberations, organizing special camps for the expansion of national integrity, environment improvement, sanitation, population, education and awareness cooperation, free legal assistance, nose, ears, throat, eyes, related diseases, women health, veterinary and other most essential social services and performing works of public interest.
14. An Energetic Village Women with a qualification of primary / middle level is designated as Social Animators & Village Helper (mostly literate, where qualified women animators are not available) by the Nirman Sanstha, Khandel. Both of them are efficiently operating the adolescent girl's groups through counseling for their bright future. These animators are engaged on a part-time basis. They are delivering awareness on - population stabilization, public awareness & Government welfare schemes etc.
15. Special feature: Selection of beneficiaries is done by the Nirman Sanstha, Khandel out of target villages after arranging meetings and liaison with villagers, beneficiaries are among those who are generally helpless/ distressed or needy. We do not operate any programme or provide any assistance under any programme out of coverage area.
16. Monthly meeting is held on 15th every month in the post-lunch, in which past month’s performance is evaluated and work plan for the subsequent month is worked out. More than 500 villagers from 26 villages participated in the meeting. The meeting is being held constantly since 1987.
B. Preliminary activities not operative at present Agriculture farming is negligible after 1995 because of deficient rainfall, vegetables are not being produced, and livestock has been scanty. As a result, works executed through Nirman Sanstha, Khandel in contemporary circumstances are not being operated today because of paucity of water such as:-
1. Ten new wells of poor farmers were dug and 64 wells were deepened which have been dried at present.
2. Controbunding of 3992 acre of land was done but its importance has been finished in the present context because of drought.
3. While sowing crops, poor farmers had to wander for seeds, fertilizers and manures or had to take loan at high interest rate. Crop loans were being made available to them @ 5 per cent interest from the Nirman Sanstha, Khandel.
4. At the time of Nirman Sanstha, Khandel came into existence in 1985 the villagers of the area were in practice to overcome their financial crisis by cutting trees of the area. In the situation, plantation was done by sowing 942803 plants in nurseries. This work was done for ten years in a row, because as a result of which, even today, greenery is present in the area, but due to incessant severe drought conditions in the area, the greenery is gradually vanishing.
5. For availability of drinking water, 32 hand pumps were installed after getting geological survey of the area; presently all have been dried up except three. Now, dry area has increased up to 150 ft. depth.
6. Advice was made available to the farmers before agriculture farming on the basis of scientific test of soil. At present because of drought agriculture farming is negligible.
7. Assistance was provided to milk producers by organizing special camps to look after lactating cattle. Milk collection centers were opened from Dairies. Training like Treatment for artificial insemination, method of preparing healthy fodder of 12458 cattle was imparted through several camps under the direction of specialists and doctors. At present, livestock has been reduced to a great extent.
8. For breeding of she goat, 30 units (10 female + 1 male = 1 unit) were provided to 30 unemployed youths/ farmers for self employment, but because of deficient rainfall this work could also not be brought forward gradually.
9. Ample harvest was being produced by farmers in the fields, therefore, 580 farmers were made aware through different training programmes for storage of food grains, not only this, metal built storage container of 3 quintal capacity was also made available to them. Further progress of this activity could not be made because of nominal agriculture farming at present.
10. Under the scheme ‘Jeevan Jyoti Niwas’ to 10 families every year 2 cemented houses are being constructed, cash subsidy of Rs.28,500 is being provided under the scheme. Till now cemented houses of 69 families have got completed.
11. Fodder depot operation: Fodder depots are operated at the time of drought so that live stock can be saved from starving. Till now 2742 quintal fodder have been provided to 445 family on prices lower than market prices by operating fodder depots three times.